Thursday, December 10, 2020

Repainting - Remodeling , Cherilea 60mm Plastic "Indians"

       Hi everyone! A different topic for this week. Different era and scale. Been a long time since I got these figures and always had them in mind since I want to repaint them for my collection..

 


       So, here we have a small collection of vintage "Cherilea" 60mm ( about 1:30 scale) dated back in late 50s or early 60s. I couldn't find exact date of production ,so, if anyone has additional info please add them to the comments. 

      Cherilea was an English company founded in 1946 by W. Cherrington and John Leaver . They where both former designers in the famous JoHilCo company.They produced in hollow-cast lead until 1955 when they began doing plastic figures. The big 60mm figures was their asset in the 60s.

 


     So , at first the paint remains should be cleaned up and also to cut the mold lines. These figures was factory painted but this was one of the weak points of Cherilea. Many collectors complained for the easy paint loss of these figures. As a result, all the figures that survived until our times are almost unpainted. So the cleaning started...

This is the average condition of each figure. Some have more or less paint

 


 During the surgery operation..


 
.....and finaly,... I feel like I have resculpt these figures!!
 


Some very nicely detailed figures revealed after all cleaning! With enough wear though...
I hope I can correct that with painting.. 




.......and some restorations - conversions needed. 
I 've used parts from other damaged figures or creat some as with the axe made of sprue part..
 







and....Tadaaa!! They are ready for painting :) 




Out of 14 figures , these are the casualties that didn't make it to the painting table..
Although they give a hand (... or a feather..haha..) to the restoration of the others!! 
The right one that looks good is badly broken in the belt line.



To Be Continued!
 
 

 

I hope you enjoy this WIP post and inspired you somehow!

Till next time...

Keep Up The Brushes!!

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Happy to hear that sir! Stay tuned for the painting part :)

      Delete
  2. They look good already. I can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post , I look forward to seeing what comes next...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great restauration of these figures! Can't wait to see them painted!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt about that. PS sended you an e-mail.

      Greetings
      Peter

      Delete
  5. They're really great looking minis sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michal! I believe they will give nice outcome :)

      Delete
  6. Always great to see lovely, old figures come back from 'the dead'!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these resurrections are one of my favourite parts of the hobby :)

      Delete
  7. Looks nice so far! Looking forward to the final work;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Restoration of these figures should mean; to put them back to the way they looked in the toy shops of the 1950's and early 1960's, Whereas you intend to take the toy and turn it into a model for presentation. As a collector myself i determined to keep them the way as described above. True i cleaned many of mine,but recorded the colours that were used on certain parts of each figure,and the body and skin where never painted on these toy figures and the mold lines determine them to be original fine period piece figures. Now what you intend doing is remodeling them and painting everything one can see,which will be pretty cool! However that cannot be seen and understood as a real project of any age old period of restoration. I mean this in a kind and understandable way. Stay Safe,Stay Well. BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right my friend. Thank you for the notice. I have changed the title to remodelling. I have search enough the web for some pictures of these Indians in their original state but I couldn't find a picture that could help me follow the original colours. Everything I have found has a lot of paint loss so I only can imagine how it would be at that time..

      Delete