Thursday, January 6, 2022

Airfix WW1 British Royal Horse Artillery 1:72

         

Happy New Year !!!

May 2022 be Happy  Creative Productive and above all  HEALTHY for all the world!!
Let's hope that next New Years Eve will find us all here and COVID as a bad dream...

       Taking the opportunity of the last post I would like to present here another Artillery set painted last year. ( No base this time). The classic Airfix set of "WW1 Royal Horse Artillery" .


       This set first released in 1968 and continue to the next decades. But the continuous production wears out the molds so the 80's and 90's sets are a bit scrappy regarding the mold lines and the material.. I had a real difficult time trying to clean these up... But finally did... :)


      I have found an older set and purchased it and the difference is 100% obvious. The material is also better and stronger than this rubbery plastic. Also have to say that all the new releases of these Airfix sets are having the same problems. I have painted British WW1 and French WW1 with excactly the same problems. 

......here are the remains of a day's job...hahaha

A good wash to clean all their sins.... sinking in the bottom of a .. tupper...

 
 

      ...and finally the painting stage. Here are some of my references.

 




    and the final result...I love these horses!! They turned out really good :)


.......and here is where I made the mistake to glue the riders on the right line of horses... 
Later I've been told that the riders always sit on the left line so they can control the right line horses with their right hand... Cleaver...











Another adventure in small scale and sure learned a lot from it. This set was for a commission but I have plans to repaint the set , now that I have the older version, and put it in a small diorama base.

Lesson to learn from this post: Be careful with the Airfix 90's issues. 
They might turn good at the end but...a lot of cleaning is needed :)

'Till next time...

Keep Up The Brushes!!


15 comments:

  1. Beautiful work sir and the Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year George! And that is a fantastic start of the year! You did something wonderfull with this old set of Airfix!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing work, and such dedication to the task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Lawrence! I'm a bit stucked on the detail.. :)

      Delete
  4. You have done these old companions of my youth proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy when I bring these little guys in life :)

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year George ! Wonderful work & paint-job on these !
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I remember this set very well - they came in a darker tan brown colour of plastic back in the 70's, when I had my hoard of Airfix figures. I never painted any of them of course, until later in the decade when I started "proper" wargaming with a French Napoleonic army of Airfix figures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! You have brought them to life brilliantly. They now call 'em Airfix classics for a reason!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James. Be alerted if you buy any of the new productions named as " Airfix Classics" as the material is very poor and there are tremendous mold lines on them...Cheers!

      Delete